Articles and Publications
Values Clarification Exercise
To lead a satisfying and balanced life it is important that your values are in synchrony with the way you lead your life and run your business. Invest the time in exploring your values; they are the major unconscious influences in the decisions you make throughout your life. Many conflicts in one's life, both professional and personal, arise because there is a clash of values either within oneself or among others.
The following exercise helps clarify your core values. Take your time and do not rush through it. Ask yourself the following questions and write your responses. When you finish this exercise, we recommend you discuss it with a friend or colleague. Engaging in a dialogue with others is another way to more fully explore your own values.
- What values are most important to me?
- What are the character traits I deem essential?
- Who and what have been major influences in my values development?
- What are my attitudes and beliefs about wellness?
- What are my attitudes and beliefs about my profession?
- What are the most important personal characteristics for someone in my field?
- What are the most important professional characteristics for someone in my field?
- What are the most important attributes of an effective practitioner in my field?
- How do my values affect my work with clients?
- Which of my personal values conflict with professional rules of conduct?
- Which of my personal values conflict with laws or regulations?
- How do my values enhance my professionalism?
Excerpted from the forthcoming book, The Ethics of Touch, by Ben E. Benjamin, Ph.D. and Cherie Sohnen-Moe