Resources for Educators
The first stage is preparing your course. Your school might provide you with a full lesson plan or simply give you the course objectives. The following preparation steps come in handy whether you are essentially starting from scratch or adapting pre-designed curriculum:
- Review the curriculum, noting topics where you lack sufficient knowledge or interest and arrange guest speaker(s) for those topics.
- Read the textbook(s) and other material that are required for the course.
- Peruse other books and articles that address the course topics.
- Review the teaching materials supplied by the textbook publisher and the school.
- Compile research on current statistics, trends and regulations.
- Create a recommended reading list.
- Assemble ancillary teaching materials.
- Order freebies for students (e.g., sample preprinted marketing materials).
- Identify ways to teach using active learning principles and techniques.
- Review notes from times you’ve previously taught this course and incorporate changes.
- Finalize your lesson plans.