Resources for Educators
- Do have students write questions/responses on 3×5 cards if the discussion topic is of a sensitive nature.
- Do meet with students privately.
- Do secure student records.
- Do emulate confidentiality in the way you discuss others in the classroom.
- Do provide private areas for the intake interview in the school clinic.
- Do be aware of your environment and potential listeners when having a personal conversation.
- Do have clear policies for all employees, faculty, students and student clinic personnel.
- Do make yourself available to students for private conversations.
- Don’t give a student’s grade out loud.
- Don’t have students correct each other’s papers.
- Don’t ask direct questions of a personal nature during class time.
- Don’t treat Teaching Assistants as confidants.
- Don’t leave sensitive information unattended.
- Don’t discuss classroom interactions beyond the classroom.
- Don’t press a student for the reason he is late to class when he comes in.
- Don’t correct students who have breached a classroom agreement in front of the class, unless it’s an appropriate issue for the class to address together.