Resources for Educators
Classrooms and teaching styles are not what they used to be and the current pedagogy is all about engaging with your students to help them understand and implement what is being taught. Here are some simple ideas for interacting with adult learners:
- Have a part of your class time or instructing time that is informal.
- Be honest if you don’t have an answer to a question, but make sure you get back to them at the next lesson or appointment.
- Include small online discussion opportunities.
- Don’t teach at them but rather with them. Even seating arrangements can be effective in creating a better learning forum.
- Remember They’re Adults! The worst thing you can possibly do when instructing adult learners is to treat them like children. Many adults never enjoyed being told what to do and how to think when they were young at school. This is not the role of the instructor. An instructor should provide the information and the tools and educate learners on how to use these tools.